This technique comes directly out of The Procrastination Equation, by Piers Steel.
It’s simple: by making time for leisure, it should help me control my impulsiveness (ie – it should help me avoid distractions).
My big vice is online TV. So I am unscheduling my favorite shows, and allowing myself to watch them as I eat lunch.
- Monday: The Amazing Race
- Tuesday: United States of Tara
- Wednesday: Parenthood (’till it’s over, then I can choose a new one)
- Thursday: Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior
- Friday: Community
There are more shows that I really like, and I will need to find a way to unschedule them too. But I’m starting with these ones.
The other thing I have in my “unschedule” is my weekly social commitments.
- Tuesday Evenings: A weekly dinner with a few friends.
- Thursday Evenings: My sports team.
I’ll continue to add to this “unschedule”, but this is what I have for now.